Sunday, March 27, 2005

easter

Joyeuses Paques! Easter here has been pretty low key, my host family lives far away from the extended family so we can't all easially get together to celebrate Easter. We went to mass today this morning (I got confused because of the time change and wasn't ready on time, but we still got there early) and then went home and ate a big Easter lunch- roast chicken and french fries, and then strawberries and icecream for dessert. We have a big basket filled with chocolate eggs and three bunnies (I assume one is for each of us kids). My host mom said it was difficult for her to find the bunnies, usually in France they have chickens and other things like that, but she looked for bunnies for me. I was explaining what we do for Easter in the US to my family last night and apparently they don't dye eggs and hide them like we do, they just hide chocolate ones. I haven't eaten a real egg all day. Also my host brother told me that they don't have the Easter Bunny here, instead a giant bell brings the eggs. I'm still a little confused, but I think its because the church bells don't ring in the days preceeding Easter there is some story about the bells going somewhere and then on Easter they come back and put eggs in the garden. If you are French and reading this, feel free to correct me. We get a day off school tomorrow as well, but we still have to wait a good three weeks for Spring Break. Its a little rainy today but right now the clouds are high enough in the sky that the mountaintops are only partially covered, the light outside is beautiful. I'm never going to get tired of the beauty of this place.

Happy 17th Birthday Faith!! I love you!