Monday, April 18, 2005

Spring Break

Spring Break... and we have around five inches of snow. I was not expecting that. Spring Break is supposed to mean beaches and flipflops, not snowstorms! Its unusual even for the Alps to get snow this late, and everyone is a little irritated. I guess I'd be happier if I thought I'd be going snowboarding, but my host parents have to work for the entire break, and a majority of my friends are out of town (Paris, Scotland, Bretagne, Ireland, Nice, Rotary Bus Trip, Skitowns... really, EVERYONE is GONE!) so it looks like I'll be sitting around my house, spending far too much time online and sitting around in front of the TV. I'm sitting around in France though, so I don't really think I'm allowed to complain.

Yesterday morning, I woke up, look outside, and saw snow falling like crazy. My host family rents out apartments (I think they own six) at Les Arcs, a ski resort about an hour and a half from here. They had some friends from their old town in the north of France who were heading down to spend a week in one of the apartments and were going to stop by Annecy and eat lunch on their way down. They ended up being about three and a half hours late because of the terrible road conditions. They said they were completely stopped at many times and there were cars in the ditches all along the way. Anyway, they ended up deciding to spend the night, and we had a really nice evening. We weren't really sure what we had on hand to make a dinner for eight people, and ended up eating crepes! I love crepes, I'm going to make them all the time back home. They left this morning, the roads are better now, the snow stopped yesterday around five pm. And hopefully it won't start up again for a while so we can get back to lazing around by the lake in t-shirts.