Saturday, April 30, 2005

My final few days of break have been busy and pretty fun, its turned into Spring (but watch it snow next weekend)and its finally hot and sunny and looks like its probably going to stay that way for a while. Wednesday I went into town with my friend Matthieu and walked around and talked a bit, I haven't seen him in a long time and the last time we were together my French was terrible, so it was fun to get to know him more. We went to a cafe and saw my host sister and some of her friends there so we all sat down together, drank coffee, and had a good afternoon.

On Thursday I woke up with absolutely no plans for the day but to sit around. By 10am my friend Regina, the German girl at my school, had invited me to go spend the night at her house. Then, at lunch, my phone started ringing constantly with calls from Molly and Maite, who had been abandonned in Annecy for the day, and didn't have enough money to buy food. So in the afternoon I went and brought them some leftovers and KinderBueno bars and we sat around in the sun on the Paquier for a while. I headed back to St. Jorioz, sat around, went for a run, and an hour before I was supposed to go to Regina's I got a call. Regina was calling to say that we'ed been invited to our friend Sophie's party. And we were supposed to dress up. So I had 30 minutes to iron a skirt and shirt, do my hair, make up etc. The little party at Sophie's was lots of fun, there were only 7 of us, we cooked a nice dinner and listened to music and had a good time.

Friday afternoon I took several buses up to my friend Gilles house. Gilles was an exchange student in Belfair,WA last year. He went to North Mason High School, one of the schools in my High School's sports league AND he's been to Vashon High to play soccer against us. The world is so small. We met over the last vacation through my friend Amandine, and we've wanted to get together and talk about Seattle forever, but he's been incredibly busy. So yesterday we finally got together, he showed me all his pictures of Seattle and we talked and talked and talked for hours in English It was so much fun to get to talk to someone about home, which he misses a lot more than I do. That night we went to a concert at a Tex-Mex restaurant, because I had never been to a concert in France. Actually, I haven't really been to that many concerts in my entire life. It was a French punk rock band ( Fish Liver Oil), singing in english of course. Thats never been my type of music, but I was surprised, it wasn't bad at all, they were actually fairly good. What was bad was the venue. This bar/restaurant isn't really a great place for concerts, it was set up all wrong and in general they were completely unprepared. The power went out at one point. But I still had a good time, now I want to go to another concert here so I can see what they are really like. The restaurant itself was a crazy place, made to look like its in the south in the US with all sorts of liscense plates and buffalo skins. There's a helicopter too... they've succeded in making it look very white trash USA. Merci Gilles, I had a really great day!