Thursday, August 19, 2004

The Goodbyes Continue...

I've spent the past few days hanging out with my friends for the last times before I go. On Tuesday night my family went out with my friend Christine's familyto a restaurant for dinner, then she spent the night at my house. I've known her since 1st grade, longer than any of my other friends, and even after all these years we still never run out of anything to talk about. The next day my friends Brittany and Erin took me out to lunch at Red Robbin's and then we bought dessert at a bakery and walked for a while at a beach. There are so many people I still have to either see or call and say goodbye to that I am certain I'll forget someone.

I'm getting nervous about going but I'm also getting excited, especially about the little things- like the food and my family. I don't know too much about my family, except that my host mother's name is Catherine and my host father's name is Benoit. Benoit works in insurance, I don't know if Catherine works. They have three girls- one in her early 20s (who's name I forget) and is living in some other city going to school, one who is 18 who was an exchange student in Seattle last year named Marion- I got to meet her, and one who is 16 and will be an exchange student in South Dakota next year when I am at her house, her name is Anne-Sophie. I get my own room, which is good, I've never had to share a room and I think it'd be very difficult to start off my exchange sharing one. I'm going to need a place to be alone when I'm homesick, or when I'm up all night because of Jetlag. We don't have any servants except for a woman who comes in to do the ironing- I'm not sure how frequently. But how cool is that?? I spend so much time ironing, and always at the last second before I have to leave for school, now someone will do it for me for a couple of months.