Saturday, May 28, 2005

Its been a fairly busy week, on Wednesday night an American came and ate dinner with us, which was a strange experience for me, because my host family spoke entirely in English for an evening. It made me realize how different I am in English because I'm so much more proficient in it, I had a lot more control in the conversation, it was like my host brother and I switched places. I wasn't the one responding when spoken to, but adding my own ideas. Its nice to do that every now and then, it makes me remember I'm not a vegetable.

Thursday night I had an "American Night" with the other American at my school, we presented our Rotary presentation to about 35 students and teachers from our school. We also had food for them to eat- jello, chocolate chip cookies, oreos, jelly beans, tootsie rolls, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, popcorn, etc. They loved the food. I think I did my presentation a lot better the time I did it for the Rotary. It was stressful to do it in front of my friends, and it was very hot, and I was so tired. And after that I went to gospel... long long day.

Friday night I went with my friends to the 24 heures de Natation, a benefit put on by my school. I believe the money goes to a hospital for the diabetic and disabled (or something) it goes to a good cause, thats one thing I'm sure of. Anyway, the whole deal is that the pool is open all night long, from 1 pm Friday to 1 pm Saturday. I ended up going from 8:30-10:30pm on Friday night, and then again this morning with my english class from 8:30-10am. Some people stayed the whole night, and they said it was extremely annoying because the pool decks were uncomfortable to sleep on, and the teachers kept waking them up because SOMEONE has to be swimming at all times. There was food, and a DJ that played music till 11pm. Then he started again the next morning. It was really a fun experience. One irritating thing was that in a HUGE pool(length= 50 m), with probably six big lanes, only two were open, because we didn't pay for more than two. And if you slipped into lane three, you got yelled at. My school is fairly large, and it was EXTREMELY hot out, so there was a bazillion people there. We were pretty much swimming on top of each other. This morning was more tranquil.

Today I went back to the pool in the morning, then I had Course d'Orientation from 10-12, running in the woods in such hot weather wasn't great fun. I figured I did pretty well today too, but our group ended up getting a 12/20... disappointing. I ate with my host family in town, and then my friend (and Hugo's) William came over. He played his guitar with Hugo on the drums and then played the drums. I was impressed, he was quite good. Then we swam (again! it is hot) and now, tonight I'm going to one of Hugo's friend's houses for dinner. He was going by himself... but his parents are eating at someones house, so I wouldn't have anyone or any food to eat, so I'll be tagging along on boy's night.

(Tomorrow: Mother's Day and the Oui/Non vote on the European Constitution... i have a lot to say about that, and I'll write about it.)