Friday, January 21, 2005

Rainydays

Another normal day. I had English, two hours of French, Spanish, lunch, then History. I'm actually starting to try to pay attention in classes like French and History that I used to daydream off in, cause now, if I work at it, I understand. I've always loved history and its just as interesting for me now, I really want to know what the teacher is talking about, but I don't always catch what he's saying. It gets frustrating. French lit is much more difficult, but now I'm trying to at least have a general idea of what the literature we are reading is focusing on.

I ate lunch in town with three friends. I love eating lunch in town. Up until a month or so ago I had only eaten in town a few times, now I'm going at least once a week. An hour and a half is more than enough time to walk anywhere in the city, pick up some food, find a cafe or someplace to sit, and spend a good 45 minutes talking and eating before we go back to school. There are so many choices! I can eat chinese food, or get a sandwich (the only one I'll eat is saucisson et buerre- salami and butter on a baguette) or a kebab or go to Quick or to Chez Barnabé and buy something there. We usually go to Chez Barnabé, because of all the choices. I'm a little irritated with them though, because in order to get a stamp on my Chez Barnabé card I need to spend 3.80 euros, and pretty much every meal comes up to only 3.50. I must finish the card- I need to get a BarnaCadeau before the end of the year! We ate in Bonlieu today (Bonlieu is similar to Westlake, its the meeting place in the city, it houses the theater, library, and a few store, and has clean public bathrooms and lots of steps to sit on and eat lunch), which is where kids usually eat lunch if its not summer (in which case you eat on the Paquier, a big huge grassy park thing right next to the lake and across the street from Bonlieu).

I'm not going to school tomorrow, I'd have only one hour of English, and that seems a little useless. Tomorrow is the festival for St. François de Sales, the patron saint of our school. Everyone gets out at ten so they can go to mass at 10:30 if they choose. I myself will be sleeping in for the first time since Dec 30th (well, I've slept until 7:30 three times, but the others were only 6:30) and then I'll be heading off for my second Rotary weekend at Valoire. Its been raining the past few days, I'm sure the snow will be great for us to go snowboarding/skiing!