Thursday, September 02, 2004

First Day of School

This morning my host mom dropped me off at school at 10:10 where I joined all the other kids in Première for an assembly. The headmaster seated the exchange students up front and introduced us at the beginning. It was kinda embarrassing to have him try and repeat my name, people started laughing. No one can really say the "Rae" part. He gave the same speach to us as every principle gives out (do your best, turn your cell phones off, no smoking or drugs, you can do whatever you put your mind to, blahblahblah). I was dissapointed and comforted to find myself one of 6 exchange students. Three from Mexico, One from Germany, and two, including myself, from the US. The Mexican girls speak just as good of French as I do (which is nothing, really) and the other girls seem to speak in wonderfully. All of us are in the same class, which is what bothers me. I want to make French friends, not stick with the exchange student clique! Tomorrow I'll sit by a French kid, so I can try to start making friends. Its quite discouraging to have no friends here. But I can't really be expected to make a bunch in my first hour of class.

After the assembly the kids in Première L (about 20, I think) met in our classroom to get scheduals. I can hardly understand mine. My classes end at 2:30 tomorrow, but there is no bus home until 4:30. There are a lot of odd breaks in the day where I'm not schedualed for a class, so I might have one or two classes, then several hours off for a study hall or to leave school, then another class, then lunch, then more classes. I don't really get it yet. My hour with my class was highly confusing, we're going on a feild trip to Switzerland on Monday, to go to Museums and stuff. I'm assuming they mean Geneva, because I can't think of any other Swiss cities with museums nearby. I wish they'd hold off on the field trips- I need some time to settle into my schedual.

At 12 my host sister and I went out for lunch and shopped. I bought a hair straightener for €30 (finally! I looked forever!!). I also found out that my cell phone that I've been given is working, which is another thing to rejoice about. Wish me luck on my first full day!